September 2022 Council at a Glance
The following are highlights of the September meeting of Council.
Council made several decisions and a report was presented from the Registrar.
Guidance and Standards
Council approved an updated Specialist Recognition policy.
Council approved the following for consultation:
- Human Rights in the Provision of Health Care Policy
- Medical Assistance in Dying Policy
- Out of Hospital Premises Standards
38,982 members renewed this year compared to:
- 36,872 for 2021
- 36,511 for 2020
Addressing Physician Resources
Council approved a proposed regulation to create a new temporary class of regulation. This regulation is subject to government approval.
Responding to Physician Supply Shortage
The Registrar spoke about the importance of Addressing Physician Resources and told Council that CPSO’s response to the Ontario Premier focused on multiple strategies, including:
- Call out to recently retired physicians
- Practice Ready Assessments for Internationally Educated Physicians (IEPs)
- Increased residency positions for IEPs
- New temporary license class
In addition, continued collaboration with HealthForceOntario and Northern Communities, such as:
- 15 expedited short-duration certificates in Rural and Remote areas to prevent ER closures
As of mid-August:
3,285 Practice Improvement Plans
Target for 2022 — 3,000
42 Proposals submitted and approved
Target for 2022 — 40
Patient and Physician Help Centre
100 percent of calls responded to within one business day
As of mid-August:
- Responded to 11,089 Advisory Calls
- Made 740 Courtesy Calls to Physicians
Ontario Physicians and Surgeons Discipline Tribunal
Currently redrafting its Rules of Procedure to come into effect January 1, 2023.
Some of the significant changes include:
- Removed the requirement for a member of the public to file a motion for access to the public record.
- Automatic publication ban on patient names or information that would identify patients.
- New rules similar to the “rape shield” provisions in the Criminal Code restrict evidence about a complainant’s prior sexual history.