Consider Running for Council
It’s that time again — Council Elections!
Each year, approximately one-third of CPSO Council positions are scheduled for nomination and election.
Council recently approved new eligibility requirements for Council election candidates, in line with new benchmarks established by the Ministry of Health for health regulatory colleges. These include:
- A cooling-off period of one year before a member who was a director or officer, or held another senior position, at certain organizations (such as the OMA) may run for election to CPSO Council; and
- Mandatory orientation session about CPSO’s mandate, and Council member roles and responsibilities prior to nomination.
Please see our Legislation and By-Laws page for more detailed information about these changes.
Submissions are encouraged from a diverse pool of candidates who:
- have governance experience that can help to shape the future of medical regulation;
- demonstrate leadership skills and an understanding of the health care system; and
- are committed to supporting CPSO in its mandate to act in the public interest.
Nominations will be accepted beginning April 23, 2021 until May 4, 2021. For more information, please visit our Council Elections page.
This year Council Elections will be held in the following Districts:
District 6: 1 position
Counties: Frontenac, Haliburton, Hastings, Leeds and Grenville, Lennox and Addington, Northumberland, Peterborough, Prince Edward and Victoria
District 7: 2 positions
Counties: Dundas, Glengarry, Lanark, Prescott, Renfrew, Russell and Stormont
Regional Municipality: Ottawa-Carleton
District 8: 1 position
Territorial Districts: Algoma, Cochrane, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Sudbury, Timiskaming
District 9: 1 position
Territorial Districts: Kenora, Rainy River, Thunder Bay
If you are interested in learning more about Council or being a candidate in the upcoming Council Elections, CPSO would love to connect with you! Send us an email at [email protected] and we can provide you with additional information.