December 2021 Council at a Glance
The following are highlights of the September meeting of Council.
The Registrar/CEO Report
Dr. Nancy Whitmore reported on the following:
- 39 Completed
- 31 Awaiting Disposition
- 3 In Progress
Target for 2021 — 73 Assessments
Independent Health Facility Assessments
- 13 Completed
- 39 Awaiting Assessment Report/Facility Response
- 14 Awaiting Disposition
- 5 In Progress
Target for 2021 — 72 Assessments
Out of Hospital Premises Inspection Program
- Launch Specialty Panels
- Roll-out of Nurse Inspectors (enhancing clinical focus of assessments)
- Modernize Standards
Independent Health Facilities
- Align with Ministry of Health regarding modernization aims and improved inspection coordinator
- Refresh Standards
- Explore alternative accreditation models, partnerships
- Enhance staffing and assessor models to manage volume
“Addressing physician burnout will be a major area of focus for the College in 2022.”
— Dr. Nancy Whitmore
Quality Improvement: Completed Practice Improvement Plans
- 2,634 Completed
- 1,200 In Progress
Target for 2021 — 3000
Quality Improvement Partnership
- 20 Hospitals Collaborating
Target for 2021 — 20
New French website to be launched by end of 2021
Six percent of all calls from patients are handled through our Courtesy Call process. These are low-risk concerns that can be handled with a short phone call to the physician.
Ninety-four percent of calls are responded to within one business day.
In January 2018, 16 percent of cases ended in early resolution. In September 2021, it increased to 38 percent.
Time for Referral to Discipline to Hearing – 300 days.
The Target for 2021 was 365 days.
Discipline Decision Release Time – 12 weeks.
The target for 2021 was 13 weeks.
- Rescission of Committee Appointment
- Declaration of Emergency
For Circulation and Consultation
- Administering Nerve Blocks for Adult Chronic Pain
- Reduced Membership Fees for Parental Leaves
For the fourth year in a row, there will be no increase to membership fee.
*Numbers as of November 30, 2021